Saturday, January 13, 2018

Light Vegetable Frittata


I just came up with this meal the other night when I was trying to get rid of some eggs and veggies that were getting past their prime. I often tell my clients that a very easy, quick, healthy, and cheap meal they can always make at night is a (mostly egg white) veggie omelet. For those that are looking for even more convenience, I say you can use the carton of "All whites" and frozen vegetables if you are really in a time crunch or feeling particularly lazy. One reason I came up with this recipe was when I was feeling lazy and thinking that if I make a giant omelet, I can really eat that for a few days and not have to make a new one every day.

This meal can be used for breakfast, lunch, or dinner and is extremely healthy, easy, and quite cheap! Feel free to use whatever vegetables you have… even thawing frozen vegetables to use would work just fine. This frittata can last several days in the fridge, so is a great thing to make and keep on hand when you need a quick meal. Since I made this and realized how quick, easy, delicious, and healthy it is, I have been recommending it to nearly all of my clients!


INGREDIENTS

10 egg whites

2 whole eggs

Salt, pepper, and other spices to taste (I use cilantro and turmeric)

1 zucchini, sliced into ½” slices

¼ c crumbled feta cheese

1 can diced tomatoes, drained

1 cup mushrooms, sliced

1 medium onion, chopped

5 large leaves of kale, collards, Swiss Chard (or sub spinach), chopped

½ c shredded 2% mozzarella cheese


DIRECTIONS:

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Whisk together egg whites and eggs in a large bowl with spices.

3. Spray 8” round or square baking pan (pie pan, spring form, etc.) with oil spray, paying attention to spraying sides of pan thoroughly.

4. Lay bottom of pan with zucchini slices.

5. Pour egg mixture into pan.

6. Evenly lay feta, tomatoes, mushrooms, onion and greens on egg mixture in pan (some will fall to the bottom).

7. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top of egg and vegetable mixture.

8. Bake for 30-40 minutes until eggs are cooked through.

9. If desired, broil on high for about 5 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly on top.

I serve this with avocado toast (on whole wheat bread) which makes this meal even more well-balanced and satisfying!
==================================================================

NUTRITION INFO PER SERVING: Serving size= ¼ frittata  (analysis using DietMaster Pro)
175 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated, 1 g MUFA, 1 g MUFA), 101 mg cholesterol, 10 g carbohydrate (1 g fiber), 19 g protein

Picture source: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/01/spinach-frittata-vertical-a2-1800.jpg

No comments: