Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Looking For A Flavorful and Exotic Protein Addition to Your Meal? Try Ceviche!!!


I have always been a big fan of ceviche, which is raw seafood that is cooked in acid such as lemon and lime juice. It is a cold, refreshing, low-calorie and healthy source of protein (w/some veggies). The best ceviche I have ever had was la costera ceviche- a tomato-based ceviche- at Xilantro in Wayne, which has unfortunately closed. However, I recently attended an RD networking event at Xolo Tacos in Bryn Mawr,PA, and I have to say… they make a pretty delicious ceviche and had some very interesting food options that I was super excited about including huitlacoche /corn smut (corn fungus!), nopales (cactus leaf), and zucchini flowers. Regardless, this blog is about ceviche (though I feel like there may be another blog coming on the health benefits of the corn fungus...).

Making my own ceviche has always intimidated me, as I am always iffy about preparing my own raw seafood. I generally only get raw seafood at a sushi restaurant or buy sushi-grade fish. So, I decided for my first ceviche endeavor, I would start with a “safe” and easy recipe, so it is not traditional because it is not completely raw. I created this recipe by reading a Coastal Living magazine that had a bunch of recipes, and I kind of took pieces from a few. Below is what I came up with, which I’m pretty proud of!

Kelly’s Easy Ceviche
My homemade ceviche

Ingredients:
  •           ~ 1 cup Trader Joe’s frozen Seafood  Blend (or about 4 oz of any     mix of  seafood/shellfish)
  •           Juice of 1 lime
  •           Juice of 1 lemon
  •           1 tsp chopped garlic
  •           1 tbsp chopped cilantro
  •           Pinch of salt
  •           1 tsp Trader Joe’s Habanero Hot Sauce (or any hot sauce w/o    added sodium)
  •           6 cherry tomatoes, sliced thin
  •           ¼ medium onion
  •           ¼ medium cucumber
  •           1 ½ tsp avocado oil (can sub olive or other types of oils)

Trader Joe's Frozen Seafood Blend

Directions (condensed version):
1. Thaw seafood in refrigerator overnight or for a few hours until soft.

2. Bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Blanch  seafood in boiling water for ~1 minute.

3. Drain hot water and put seafood in ice bath to chill immediately after cooking.

4.  Juice lemon and lime in a bowl. Add all other ingredients.

5. Pour ingredients over seafood in Tupperware. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours prior to eating.

6. Enjoy with avocado, on whole grain crackers, in whole grain tortillas, in salads, and more!

Directions (detailed version):
To start, I thawed out 1 cup of Trader Joe’s Seafood Blend (scallops, shrimp, and calamari) and put in a bowl. I then brought a small saucepan filled with 1 cup of water to a boil and threw in the seafood just to cook briefly ~1 minute.

From there, I juiced 1 lime and 1 lemon in a separate bowl. Adding to that, I mixed in garlic, chopped fresh cilantro, a pinch of salt, dash of Trader Joe’s habanero hot sauce, jalapeno (with ½ the seeds), tomatoes, onion, cucumber, and avocado oil. I then poured that vegetable/juice mixture on top of the seafood and mixed together. I put in a Tupperware container and let sit in the fridge for a few hours before dinner.

I chose to eat this ceviche as a starter to my kale quinoa salad- which created the perfect well-balanced meal! I also added in some avocado into both the ceviche and salad for a healthy source of fat.

I only made one cup worth because I am not keen on keeping seafood for several days (not ideal in terms of food safety)- so this lasted me the day I prepared it and one more serving for the next day. Obviously, you can increase the serving depending on the amount of people you’re feeding.


Overall, this was a super simple thing to make, delicious, and tastes like it should be really expensive (though I would estimate this recipe cost me a total of <$4/serving- the Trader Joe’s Seafood blend is $7.99/lb [one bag] and I used about ¼ lb of it). I plan to incorporate this into my regular dinner routine from now on!

No comments: