Thursday, December 30, 2010

Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds

I used to hate nuts, especially almonds. However, over the past year I have learned to like almonds (yes, it is possible to make yourself like a food if you try it enough!!). I wanted to start liking almonds since they are one of the most nutritious nuts for you as they contain high levels of vitamin E, magnesium, potassium, manganese, riboflavin, copper, fiber, and monounsaturated fats. The research surrounding almonds is extremely positive, and most studies demonstrate that about 1/4 cup can reduce your LDL (bad) cholesterol, and can be protective against cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and even weight gain! Almonds (especially the skins) are also high in antioxidants which may be another reason why they are so beneficial for your health, but make sure you have almonds with the skin on.


When I did my research at UD on the Raw Foods Diet I began eating raw almonds with dried fruit. Then, I went home where my parents buy salted and roasted almonds, so I adopted eating those. Just two days ago at work I was introduced to a new almond product: Emerald Cocoa Roasted Almonds. If you like chocolate and you like almonds, this snack is for you! They are no higher in fat and calories than plain almonds, and taste like candy! I highly recommend these to curb your appetite for something sweet. However, one draw back is they do contain artificial ingredients and additives for the cocoa coating... but even so, these are way healthier than eating a chocolate and almond candy bar! One word of advice: watch your portion size!

To learn more, visit: http://www.emeraldnuts.com/

No comments: